The Chancellor's Committee on Access and Accommodation sponsors and continues to support events throughout the current academic year. Do you have an event you'd like to post here? Contact Julie Hengst and we'll add it to our events.
- Global Accessibility Awareness Day
DRES is hosting GAAD on May 16th. Be sure to register with DRES so we know you're coming.
- 42nd Annual National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament
The University of Illinois is proud to host the 42nd Annual National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament March 14-16, 2019 at the State Farm Center. See the complete details.
- DRES Open House
DRES is hosting an Open House at the Rehabilitation Education Center (1207 S. Oak St., Champaign) for all alumni and friends from noon to 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 15. Come see the Legacy Project throughout the building that commemorates the historical timeline and notable alums of DRES. Light refreshments will be served.
- The Game Changer
Watch this documentary that tells the story of how Dr. Tim Nugent changed the world for people with disabilities. It was written and produced here at the University of Illinois
- U of I Library forms an Accessibility Advisory Group
The Library has put together a group who will provide vision and guidance regarding users with disabilities. The group is comprised of several members of the CCAA.
- UI Chancellor Seeks Review of Diversity Programs
Chancellor Robert Jones has ordered a "self-study" of the UI's diversity efforts — how they're structured, how they connect to similar programs across campus and what benchmarks they use to effectively target the money they receive.
- Culture of Disability Expo - April 15, 2016
- Faculty Retreat - "Bringing Out the Best in Our Students"
- Library Exhibit – DRES Pioneer: Timothy J. Nugent
- #IlliniADA25 Employer Networking Opportunity
- Dr. Kim Collins, Clinical Psychologist for Disability Resources and Educational Services presents on the topic of "Working with Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder." A closed caption video of the presentation is available.
- April 2016 - Culture of Disability Expo
April 15th, 2:00-5:00pm, Room 2009, Student Dining & Residential Programs Building, 301 E. Gregory Drive, Champaign
- March - Faculty retreat focuses on Universal Design for Learning
The Office of the Provost and the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning sponsored a well attended retreat this year titled, "Bringing Out the Best in Our Students." More than 200 professors participated in the March 4th event.
- February 2016 – Library Exhibit – DRES Pioneer: Timothy J. Nugent
A display and timeline of disability pioneer and DRES’s first director, Timothy J. Nugent can be seen in the North-South corridor of the University Library. This display is a joint project of the Univeristy Library and DRES.
- #IlliniADA25 Employer Networking Opportunity – Wednesday February 24, 2016 from 6:00 – 8:00 pm. 2009 SDR
This is event is co-sponsored by the Career Center and DRES for the purpose of increasing networking opportunities for students with disabilities on campus with national companies. Commitments have been made with the following companies to date: Discover Card, Caterpillar, PWC. More employers will be announced in the near future.
- ADA25 Luncheon Celebration – Thursday October 22, 2015
The College of Applied Health Sciences and the Chancellor's Committee on Access and Accommodation co-sponsored a luncheon celebrating the 25th anniversary of the signing of the ADA during Homecoming Week during fall 2015. The featured speaker was Kareem Dale, who received his BS'95, JD/MBA '99 from the University of Illinois. Mr. Dale served as White House Former Special Assistant to the President for Disability Policy during President Obama's first term in office.
- 25th Annual Anniversary of the Mortenson Distinguished Lecture: The Right to Accessible Information for Global Citizenship (UNESCO"s Programme for Persons with Disabilities) – Tuesday October 27, 2015
Dr. Irmgarda Kasinskaite-Buddeberg, a program specialist working at United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Communication and Information Sector, Knowledge Societies Division in Paris, France, was the 25th Annual Mortenson Distinguished Lecturer. She presented on the challenges and progress made to ensure that persons with disabilities have access to information.
- Sled Hockey Game and Demonstration – Saturday December 5, 2015
Campus and community members came out to experience the game of sled hockey and watch a game between the Chicago and St. Louis. All supplies and equipment were provided for an evening of fun and learning. University of Illinois Paralympians were in attendance cheering on their favorite teams and meeting with spectators to share their Paralympian experiences. This event was co-sponsored with Campus Recreation.